In accordance with the policy of Cochrane, Cochrane Ireland does not receive funding from commercial sources, defined as any for-profit manufacturer or provider of health care, or any other for-profit source with a real or potential vested interest in the findings of a specific review. All directors of Cochrane entities are required to complete personal declaration of interest statements and to disclose all relationships with commercial organisations. The term 'related organisation' in the questions below means any organisation related to health care or medical research.
The Convenor of Cochrane Ireland, Dónal O’Mathúna, has completed these declarations of interest. Answers given correspond to the last five years.
Date declarations made: November 2014.
1. Received research funding: any grant, contract or gift, commissioned research, or fellowship from a related organisation to conduct research?
Yes. Current funding: Irish Health Research Board and Northern Ireland Health & Social Care, Public Health Agency, Research & Development. Previous funding: Irish Department of Health (commissioned research); Science Foundation Ireland (co-investigator on research grant); European Commission (COST Action funding for travel).
2. Had paid consultancies: any paid work, consulting fees (in cash or kind) for a related organisation?
Yes, from the UK Cochrane Centre and the University of Ulster (for delivering training and teaching).
3. Received honoraria: one-time payments (in cash or kind) from a related organisation?
Yes, from the Dublin North East Hospital Group, Dundalk Institute of Technology, and Tralee Institute of Technology (for delivering training).
4. Served as a director, officer, partner, trustee, employee or held a position of management with a related organisation?
5. Possessed share-holdings, stock, stock options, equity with a related organisation (excludes mutual funds or similar arrangements where the individual has no control over the selection of the shares)?
6. Received personal gifts from a related organisation?
7. Had an outstanding loan with a related organisation?
8. Received royalty payments from a related organisation?
9. Do you have any other competing interests that could pose a conflict of interest that would reasonably appear to be related to the primary interest?